November 26, 2018
Categorised in: Uncategorized
Winchester Cathedral is the perfect place to visit at Christmas. From traditional carol services to the Christmas Market and Ice Rink, here are 10 Christmas experiences at Winchester Cathedral that should not be missed:
- Visit Winchester Cathedral – No trip to Winchester would be complete without visiting Winchester Cathedral, one of the finest medieval cathedrals in Europe. The 30ft tall Christmas Tree, which arrives in early December, is a magnificent sight to behold!
- Sing Christmas Carols – Winchester Cathedral hosts carol services throughout December, where you can enjoy the mesmerising voices of the Cathedral Choir and sing carols in the magnificent Nave of Winchester Cathedral.
- Browse the Christmas Market – Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market is one of the best in Europe. You’ll be captivated by the sights, sounds and smells of the Christmas Market with 112 chalets selling exclusive Christmas gifts and tasty treats! Open from 17 November – 20 December.
- Get your skates on! – Winchester Cathedral Ice Rink is one of the top 10 Ice Rinks in the UK recommended by Countryfile Magazine, Families Online and Days Out with the Kids. Glide along and soak up the festive vibes on our weather proof, family-friendly ice rink whilst admiring stunning views of the Cathedral. Open from 17 November – 2 January
- Join our Lantern Parade – The lantern parade is back for 2018! A special opportunity for you to make your own lantern with Bella Crafts and join a fun family parade starting from the Cathedral and processing around the Outer Close. This year’s Lantern Parade takes place on Thursday 29 November at 6.30pm.
- Tantalise your taste buds – You’re completely spoilt for choice at Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market when it comes to food and drink. You’ll find chalets selling festive favourites to indulge in, including mulled wine, bratwurst and mince pies. Don’t miss the Ice Café, a cosy retreat at the heart of the Christmas Market.
- Dance the night away with Silent Discos on Ice – Winchester Cathedral is hosting Silent Discos on Ice to the ice rink for the first time this year! Take to the ice for a Silent Disco and skate to the sound of your favourite tunes from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. With three different music channels to choose from you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Take a Tower Tour – A unique chance to experience the best and exclusive views over Winchester and the Cathedral Christmas Market and Ice Rink from the top of the Cathedral Tower. Make your visit extra special by visiting in the twilight hour. Tower Tours run from 17 November to 17 December at various dates and times.
- Visit the Nativity Chalet – This delightful nativity scene reminds us of the Christmas story and can be found in the British Crafts Village. The unique design of this year’s Nativity Chalet is inspired by pupils at Stanmore Primary School.
- Explore the Christmas Market with Benedict Bear – Join Benedict Bear on ‘A Monk’s Trail’, an outdoor trail especially designed for families visiting our Christmas Market. You’ll learn lots of fascinating facts about the Cathedral as you help Benedict on his journey to find the Nativity. The trail is available from the Entrance Desk in the Cathedral, with a sticker for all those who complete the trail.
For more information about Christmas at Winchester Cathedral, please visit www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/christmas