The High Vault has a superb display of Episcopal and royal heraldry but it is in need of conservation and repair.
Recent analysis has shown that there are four different painted schemes, dating from the early 16th century, the 1630s, 1819 and the 1950s. Some bosses have in the past been painted a stone colour, obscuring their original decoration. We plan to restore the vaults to their original vibrancy.
The right hand image shows a detail of a pearl on a boss where white 1950’s paint lying over the 17th century verdigris can be clearly seen.