Established in 1931, the Friends of Winchester Cathedral is an independent charity set up specifically to:
- Assist Chapter maintain the Cathedral
- Help stimulate interest in the Cathedral
- Preserve and beautify the Cathedral, its music and history
Set up by Dean Selwyn, our first grant of £100 paid for new kneelers and cushions for the choir stalls. Since then we have given over £10 million to the Cathedral in present day terms.
Over 84 years, we have provided substantial support in a number of ways including:
- Repairs to stonework, stained glass windows, the organ and the roof
- Providing a cherry picker, an altar frontal, vestments, kneelers and a piano
- Funding the magnificent Fleury building extension through a grant for £819,000
Membership starts at £25 for a single membership or £45 for a joint membership.