We provide in the region of £70,000 each year in regular grants to the Cathedral. This year we have provided grants for:
- The Girls’ Choir. We pay the expenses of the Girls’ Choir each year, plus the costs for each of the girls to learn a musical instrument.
- Two scholarships for boy choristers
- The maintenance of the trees in the Close
- Leadwork and masonry repairs, including most recently the cleaning and restoration of the external west-facing wall of the South Transept – with stunning results.
- Cathedral Flowers. We pay for the flowers in the Cathedral throughout the year.
- Library and Curator artefacts. Most recently we have paid for the curator to create a Stone Store to archive important historical stones for future generations to share.
- The Cathedral Christmas tree. The Friends provide the funding for the large Christmas tree at the West End of the Cathedral each year.
The Windows Appeal
In May 2013, the Friends launched its first major fundraising appeal. As part of the wider Cathedral Appeal, the Friends asked members to contribute towards an £800,000 target for conservation of the medieval windows in the Presbytery aisles and Clerestory. Through the generosity of our members, we have now reached that target.