This long-established and internationally acclaimed choir includes 22 boy choristers and 12 adult male singers (Lay Clerks). You can hear them fill the Cathedral with glorious music from all periods at eight Cathedral services weekly in term time. They also make regular recordings, broadcasts, concerts and international tours.
- The Choir’s wide repertoire ranges from the plainsong chanted by medieval monks to commissioned works by modern British composers
- It broadcasts regularly for BBC Radio and TV, and also makes regular recordings
- It performs at concerts throughout the UK, including London’s Royal Festival Hall, and tours internationally
About our boy choristers
- Our 22 boy choristers join us from all over the UK and abroad
- They’re aged between 8 and 13
- They sing at six services a week during term time, with half-hour rehearsals before each service
- All boys are educated at The Pilgrims’ School, the Cathedral choir school, and take part in all school activities, academic, musical and sport.
- All boys are offered a Choral Scholarship worth 40% of their full boarding fees and many go on to gain musical scholarships to their senior schools
- The Head Chorister wears his chorister medal on a red ribbon, and the Deputy Head Chorister a blue one. Senior choristers wear medals on yellow ribbons
- Probationer choristers wear a red cassock and white ruff. They graduate to a white surplice when they take their places in the choir stalls
About our Lay Clerks
- The choir includes 12 adult singers (Lay Clerks) who sing the alto, tenor and bass parts
- They are all well-respected professional singers, and are salaried members of the Cathedral staff
How to join
- The Cathedral Music Department and The Pilgrims’ School are glad to meet with prospective choristers and their parents at any time during the year to discuss possible entry.
- There will be a Choral Open Day for boys aged 6 – 10 on Saturday 8 October 2016. Find out more
- Voice auditions for boy choristers aged 7–10 are normally held on a single day in November, but preliminary auditions can be arranged at any time in the year.
- All Lay Clerk vacancies are advertised in the Church Times and on this website
Find out more
Call or email us
Email Sue Armstrong, Choirs Administrator, or call her on 01962 857219
Visit our online shop
An outstanding selection of CDs and books about choral music