We welcome thousands of people to the Cathedral a year to take part in a huge range of activities, including services and ceremonies, educational visits, guided tours, local festivals and a host of cultural events. Here are a few facts and figures to give you a flavour our work.
The diversity of what goes on here is a source of pleasure and pride to our clergy, staff, volunteers and supporters.
- We celebrate over 1,500 Holy Services a year in this beautiful building, including Morning Prayer, Holy Eucharist, Choral Evensong, Sunday Services and special services for Easter, Christmas and other major festivals
- Over 100 singers now regularly perform glorious choral music here as members of one of our four Cathedral Choirs, and we hold 20 choral concerts a year attracting around 10,000 music lovers
- Over 130,000 paying visitors including 500 tour groups visit this magnificent medieval building a year, with over 25,000 people taking part in one of the different guided tours led by our expert volunteer guides
- Over 10,000 people attend our Christmas services, and we attract 350,000 visitors and 40,000 skaters to our colourful Christmas market and ice rink
- We welcome over 25,000 children and young people to our education programme a year, as well as offering popular children’s holiday activities
- Our Cathedral Box Office sells over 61,000 tickets a year for concerts, cultural events and festivals, seasonal celebrations and our Christmas Ice Rink
- Over 700 Cathedral Volunteers give us their time and skills, from welcoming, guiding and feeding our visitors, to helping services and events run smoothly
- Since 2000, the Friends of Winchester Cathedral have raised a magnificent £2.5 million to help fund our work, and maintain and conserve our buildings and treasures
- Over £1.8 million is raised a year by our trading activities to support the Cathedral’s work and ministry. These include our Cathedral Shop and Box Office, catering services and venue hire
Find out more
Download our Annual Report for 2015 (PDF)
A summary overview of our aims, activities and finances in words and pictures