Our volunteers enrich life at Winchester Cathedral in so many different ways.
Simply, we could not run the Cathedral without them. Our seven hundred volunteers take on a huge variety of roles to support The Cathedral and its mission.
Visitors are welcomed by our hospitable front-of-house team of volunteers and may decide to take a tour with one of our expert volunteer guides. Their voluntary colleagues serve in the refectory and shop, as well as helping out with our comprehensive learning programme. Behind the scenes, volunteers help with everything from fundraising to dusting.
If you have a few hours a week to spare, we would love to hear from you. In return for donating their time and skills, our volunteers receive free entry to Winchester Cathedral, training, experience (for that all-important CV!) and become part of a lively and supportive community – and have the satisfaction of knowing that they are helping to preserve almost a thousand years of history for future generations.
Our volunteer opportunities include:
- Bell-ringers – ringing our splendid peal of bells on Sundays and special days
- Cathedral Guides – leading 25,000 people a year on our guided tours (training required)
- Cathedral Refectory Helpers – helping serve food and clear tables
- Cathedral Shop Assistants – selling a wide range of books, gifts and souvenirs
- Children’s Workshop Helpers – helping with school groups and holiday activities
- Cloisters Helpers – raising funds through the Cathedral’s city-centre charity shop
- Events Stewards – helping our busy events programme run smoothly
- Flower Arrangers – bringing their magic to our floral decorations
- Gallery Stewards – helping visitors learn about the Morley Library, the Winchester Bible and the Triforium Gallery
- Holy Dusters and Brass Band – keeping the Cathedral’s fixtures and fittings gleaming, spick and span
- Hospitality team – Serving refreshments at special events
- Information Desk Helpers – selling souvenir items at the Cathedral exit
- Litter Pickers – Keeping the Cathedral grounds clean from litter, especially after a busy summers day
- Scribes Team – the largest group of calligraphers working in any English cathedral today
- Sidesmen – welcoming worshippers and showing them to their seats (includes men and women)
- Servers – helping with ceremonial duties at the Holy Eucharist
- The Deanery Bookstall – helping run our busy second-hand books area
- Tower Assistants – helping with our popular guided Tower Tours
- Vestment Care – helping conserve and preserve our precious vestments (training can be given)
- Wardrobe Team – maintaining the robes and surplices for the Cathedral choirs, and packing for choir tours
- Welcoming Stewards – greeting visitors and making them welcome
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please email Sarah Williams our Volunteer Co-ordinator, or call her on 01962 857225.
Find out more
Safeguarding Policy (PDF)
A full copy of the Cathedral’s recently updated safeguarding policy for young and vulnerable people.
Download a Volunteering at Winchester Cathedral leaflet (PDF)
More information plus how to register your interest
Volunteer in our Visitor Centre
More about our popular Cathedral Shop and Refectory
Become a Cathedral Guide
More about our guides, their training and the tours they offer