Welcome to the Friends of Winchester Cathedral, an independent charity set up to support the Cathedral. There are over 3000 members in Winchester, Hampshire and beyond.
How we help
Each year, the Friends provide grants of almost £70,000 to the Cathedral. These funds pay for the Girls’ Choir, two boy choristers, essential stonework repairs to the Cathedral and maintenance of the trees in the Close, as well as the Cathedral Christmas tree each year. Since 2013, the Friends have also raised £800,000 towards the conservation of the Cathedral’s medieval stained glass windows. Read more.
Become a Friend
As a Friend you are entitled to:
- Free access to the Cathedral including the recently opened “Kings and Scribes” exhibition
- Free Tower Tours on selected dates
- A programme of monthly talks, an Annual Lecture and day trips
- A copy of the Winchester Cathedral Record and regular newsletters
- Attendance at the Friends’ Festival every July
- Priority booking for the Community Carol Service
- Discounts in the Cathedral Gift Shop twice a year
Membership starts at only £25 per year. Click here for more information on joining.
Throughout the year we organise a number of events for our members from talks to concerts. Find out more.
Record Extra & Online Archive
Record Extra is a collection of important articles about the Cathedral and complements the Friends’ magazine, The Record, distributed each year to Friends and available to download here.
We have also just launched our new digital archive of the Winchester Cathedral Record in all editions since 1932. It’s an invaluable resource of history of the Cathedral and the Friends. http://wincathrecord.org
Our latest newsletters are available to download here.
Get in touch
Email Lucy Hutchin, Director of the Friends, or call her on 01962 857 244. You are welcome to pop into the Friends Office, open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 2.30pm. The Office is at 2 The Close, Winchester SO23 9LS – we are through the door to the right of the Dean Garnier Garden.