On Sunday 9th August, 25 bell ringers from the Winchester District rang in celebration of 150 years since the foundation of the Mothers’ Union by Hampshire resident, Mary Elizabeth Sumner.

In 1876, Mary held the first meeting at her home in Old Alresford Place, her husband was Rector of St. Mary’s Church. She had the foresight to see the need for family support to new mothers when she herself became a grandmother. She later lived in Winchester and she and her husband are buried in ‘Paradise’ – the grassy area behind the east end of the Cathedral, near the Lady Chapel.

On the morning of Mary Sumner Day this year, six mothers from the Alresford band rang a successful quarter peal at St Mary’s Church on the very same bells which would have graced the tower in Mary’s time. For forty-four minutes the ringers focussed on sounding their bells to ring the 1260 different combinations required for a quarter peal, requiring stamina and concentration.